As the chilly weather starts to set in there is nothing as perfect as some hearty soup and a simple but delicious sandwich.
An open faced sandwich tastes delicious, looks delicious and what you consume in toppings you save with just having one piece of bread! Scores! Just kidding
This may not top a ‘clean eating’ list, but they’re super simple to make and will satisfy any guest and/or just little old you!
- 2 slices of thinly sliced bread. Poilane is my fave but German sunflower bread is delicious too
- 4 pieces of sliced tomato or 12 small cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese, I used provolone (yummmm)
- salt, pepper and oregano or fresh basil
- slice tomatoes and place them on a baking sheet
- turn on your broiler
- in a small skillet warm olive oil
- add garlic and cook until fragrant and sizzling lightly
- remove from heat and discard the garlic
- carefully spoon the flavored oil over the tomatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper
- put the seasoned tomatoes under the broiler
- once you can see that the tomatoes are slightly blistered, remove them from the oven
- lightly toast your bread
- top with cheese and tomatoes
- place the assembled sandwich under the broiler and heat until the cheese is nice and melted
- remove from the oven and sprinkle with oregano or fresh basil
- serve straight away to your salivating guests, or enjoy them yourself!