With spring here and summer right around the corner, we all want our bodies looking their best. But no matter how many crunches you do or how long you hold that plank, there will inevitably be times when your stomach isn’t as flat as you’d like, and let’s face it, it’s hard to rock a bathing suit when you’re feeling like a balloon!
Thankfully there are a few tricks to avoiding that uncomfortable bloated feeling and many of them start with what you eat. When you want to get back to your flat-stomached self try snacking on any of these 5 foods:
- High water content fruits and vegetables – E.g. cucumber, watermelon, grapefruit. It’s widely known that water is AMAZING for your health, and its benefits don’t quit when it comes to bloating! Water helps flush the body of toxins and keeps the digestive tract moving smoothly.
- Potassium rich foods – E.g. banana, sweet potato, kiwi, avocado. Consuming high-sodium foods (such as packaged foods) causes bloating by increasing water retention in the body. Potassium helps combat bloating by counteracting the effects of sodium.
- Herbal Teas – E.g. peppermint, dandelion root, ginger. Peppermint and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties and help ease digestive pain. Dandelion root is a natural diuretic (making it good for flushing out toxins) and has been used in traditional Chinese and Native American medicine for centuries. Consuming these plants as tea adds the benefits of water.
- Yogurt – Yogurt contains probiotics (i.e. good bacteria) that promote digestive health and there are so many tasty things you can add to it! Just check the carton to make sure you’re eating yogurt with active cultures. If yogurt isn’t your thing, you can also buy probiotic supplements at most health food stores or drug stores.
- Pineapple – Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which helps break down proteins and has anti-inflammatory properties that calm the digestive system. Snack on some fresh slices or sip on some juice to reap pineapple’s bloat-beating benefits.
These foods will help flatten your stomach when its bloated, but regularly incorporating them into your diet will help prevent bloating in the future. Keep them in mind as we head off into warmer weather, and enjoy feeling confident in whatever you decide to wear!