There has been a lot of buzz about coconut oil lately, and for good reason! There are very few things found in nature that have literally hundreds of great uses, when taken both internally and used externally (topically).
It’s tough to narrow it down, but if you’re not yet turned on to coconut oil, here are a few simple reasons to get started!
- Coconut oil can help you lose weight! Yes! Even though it is a saturated fat (which has gotten such a bad rap, as there are good fats and bad fats), it is a medium chain triglyceride (MCT). This means the liver utilizes it for energy and helps your body burn fat as fuel.
- It can be used for detoxing the body, and for better care of your teeth and gums through oil pulling. Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic remedy, and is done by swishing the oil around in your mouth, in through your teeth etc. for 15 minutes a day. Just be sure not to swallow it as it is taking up your toxins!
- Body care – coconut oil is amazing for soft skin – use it as a moisturizer, or even as a facial cleanser (mix equal parts baking soda and coconut oil). It is also excellent for removing eye make-up.
- This is the perfect oil for cooking with! It can be heated to very high temperatures, and not damage the oil (which can load it with free radicals)
- Coconut oil is a great immune booster! It is both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Eaten daily it can help to keep bad bacteria at bay. Try for 2 tablespoons per day.
When purchasing coconut oil, look for extra-virgin and organic. This is the most amazing product that has so many phenomenal benefits and uses. And did I mention it’s inexpensive? Get 2 bottles – keep one in your kitchen and one for your skincare!
Owner/Founder Vitalife Digestive Wellness Clinic