Fiber is Sexy! Why? Because it keeps your body slim and your skin glowing!
- Toxins will find any way they can to leave your body, and the skin is where they look to escape first. Your skin is your largest organ, and when toxins aren’t being removed through your colon, your skin can take the brunt. Fiber binds to toxins in your colon, helping to move them through your system.
- Fiber helps you control your weight by making you feel full for longer.
- There are 2 types of fiber – soluble and insoluble – it is the insoluble fiber that gels and increases in size, helping you to feel fuller, longer – this can assist with weight control. (eg. Chia, quinoa, oatmeal)
- Soluble fiber helps to soften your food, making it easier for elimination. This helps with ridding the body of old toxins, and decreasing bloating. (eg. Fruits and veggies)
- Beneficial bacteria in your colon feed on fiber – these good bacteria help with regularity, decrease bloating, and help you absorb the nutrients from your food – this can assist with glowing, gorgeous skin.
You should aim for 35-45 g/fiber per day. Be sure to increase the amount in your diet slowly, to avoid bloating and discomfort (the opposite of what you’re aiming for!).
It’s important to have adequate water consumption as well (recommend room temperature only and 30 minutes away from meals). 3 L/day is a good goal.
It is easy to add more fiber to your daily diet by adding high fiber foods to bulk up soups and salads.
Holistic Nutritionist/Colon Hydrotherapist
Owner/Founder Vitalife Digestive Wellness Clinic