Panerai Design Miami/ Visionary Award winner SHoP Architects have designed this year’s entrance pavilion Flotsam & Jetsam
Image courtesy of SHoP Architects
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I’m of course talking about Art Basel – when the who’s who of elite jetsetters and celebrities make their way from across Canada, the US, and Europe to sunny Miami Beach, Florida.
Art Basel is an international art fair with three shows staged annually in Basel, Miami Beach, Hong Kong and showcase modern and contemporary artwork by established and newly emerging artists. Art Basel Miami Beach has grown to become one of the most popular of the fairs for art lovers, locals, visitors, and party-goers alike. Drawing in a number of other fairs, including Design Miami, SCOPE, PULSE, and many more, which span across Miami Beach and into the Wynwood Arts District.
Art Basel Miami Beach is not just about the art. A multitude of exclusive parties, pop-ups, and more flood the city, hosted by brands, showcasing their exclusive artist collaborations, collections, and contribution to art and culture. If there was anywhere to see and be seen, Miami is definitely the place.
Cointreau Chez Rickey during Art Basel 2015
Image by: Elaine Fancy
Officially taking place from December 1st – December 4th, Art Basel is a weeklong event, with more events, parties, fairs, openings, launches, cocktails, dinners, and receptions than one can remotely try to fit into a schedule, let alone attend. It sounds exhausting but there’s nothing like it! Being in Miami is also always a good idea, right!?
With the city changing day by day, the secret to Art Basel in Miami is knowing where to go and what to do, to ensure you’re experiencing the fair to its truest potential.
Check out my guide to this year’s Art Basel below!
WHERE TO EAT:
Nina’s House at The Confidante Hotel
Miami is known for some amazing, mouth-watering food, and one of the most important things during Basel is keeping yourself fuelled, and maybe trying to catch a glimpse of your favourite celebrity and one of the city’s hottest restaurants. I’ve rounded up your top picks below:
- Nina’s House: Kicking off Basel with an exclusive affair for DuJour Magazine with cover star Kris Jenner, Nina’s House brings a bohemian, vintage vibe to the historic home, with it’s own entrance on 41st This brand new poolside outpost at The Confidante Hotel is definitely a spot you need to check out!
- Quinto La Huella: A new restaurant in Downtown Miami (Brickell), located within the brand new EAST, Miami.
- Matador Room: Located in the stunning Edition Hotel, get your fix of delicious Latin American and Spanish food, along with all the ABSOLUT ELYX copper pineapples you can get your hands on! Need I say more?
- Mandolin: Mouth-watering street food, fused from Greece and Turkey and located in Miami’s Design District. The outdoor terrace here is very charming.
- Bodega Taqueria y Tequila: One of the best places in Miami for tacos and late night eats. Everyone needs their late night fix – especially during Basel and Bodega is the spot! Not to mention, squeeze in some late night dancing in their hidden bar/lounge in the back.
- DOA: The highly anticipated restaurant and first venture on Miami Beach for famed restaurateur Arjun Waney (of Zuma, Coya, La Petite Maison and The Arts Club). Open till 5AM, this Asian Cantina eatery promises to be one of the hottest gastronomy and nightlife spots in Miami.
WHAT TO DO:
Mini Beasts, by The Haas Brothers, 2016
Image courtesy of Joe Kramm and R&Company
Here’s your guide around Art Basel of the hottest fairs to check out!
- Art Basel: The star fair during Miami Art Week, catch 269 of the world’s leading modern and contemporary art galleries display premier paintings, drawings, sculptures, installations, prints, photography, film, video, and digital art by over 4,000 artists at the Miami Beach Convention Centre.
- Design Miami/: One of my favorite fairs – Design Miami/ is the global forum for design. Each fair brings together the most influential collectors, gallerists, designers, curators and critics from around the world in celebration of design culture and commerce. This year the fair will continue its dedication to offering an extensive program of special events, satellite projects, collaborations and commissions to complement the gallery exhibitions this year. New collaborations for this edition include an inspiring set of cross-cultural initiatives from fashion and lifestyle to food, retail and hospitality. Including an exciting capsule collection with Maison Kitsuné and an installation with Airbnb called Sobremesa, a lively exploration of shared space, by Pedro&Juana, an emerging Mexico City-based design studio. Sobremesa is the Mexican tradition of sharing time and space lingering around the table after a meal in casual conversation; Pedro&Juana recreate the experience of sobremesa in a unique environment inspired by iconic Mexican courtyard spaces.
- Art Miami: Miami’s original and longest running contemporary and modern art fair
- SCOPE: SCOPE is celebrated as the premier showcase for international emerging contemporary art and multi-disciplinary creative programming. Renowned for its uncanny ability to forecast new visual trends that are embraced globally.
- PULSE: One of the most anticipated events during Miami Art Week, PULSE Contemporary Art Fair is a well-respected source for the discovery of emerging to mid-career artists offering a comprehensive overview of the contemporary art market today.
WHERE TO STAY:
Image courtesy of Swire Hotels
Everyone knows that in Miami hotels are the place to be! From hosting all the best parties, to celeb spotting, to enjoying some much-needed R&R from Art Basel by the pool or on the beach. Here’s where you need to be during Art Basel…
- Nautilus South Beach: Stop by Nautilus Cabana Club Beach Tent presented by UP & DOWN. The ideal hideaway for celebrities, VIPs and seasoned partiers alike.
- Faena Hotel: Don’t miss their Faena Bazaar, a groundbreaking retail experience unlike any other! And the hotel features a stunning Damien Hirst golden Mammoth you need to see for yourself.
- EAST, Miami: Located apart of the brand new Brickell City Centre. This hotel is stunning and will be hosting many intimate and VIP events throughout Basel.
- Edition Hotel: A secret skating rink, bowling alley, and nightclub lie in the basement!
- 1 Hotel: Designed for comfort, using reclaimed materials, this hotel is one-of-a-kind and boasts one of the best rooftop pools, hands down!
- The Confidante: stunning Art Deco architecture, eclectic eateries, and a cosmopolitan charm that remains with the city today.
Hope to see you in Miami!
– Rob Loschiavo // @RobLosch