With all of the creams, lotions, pills and more, promising a gorgeous complexion and youthful glow, the one thing that is the closest we have to a fountain of youth is free! And it is restful sleep.
- Not enough sleep leads to a breakdown in collagen and hyaluronic acid – these are the molecules that give skin its bounce and translucency.
- Blood flow to the skin is boosted while you sleep, giving you that glow.
- Not enough sleep results in poor water balance – this leads to puffy under-eye bags and dark circles, dryness and more visible wrinkles.
- During deep (REM) sleep, HGH (Human Growth Hormone) levels rise, allowing damaged cells to be repaired, decreasing visible signs of aging.
- Great for your bod! Being well-rested increases your energy, decreases your appetite, and is essential for repairing muscles.
- Great for your mood! Not only will you experience less depression and anxiety, you will be more productive and focused.
Most people should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night. For a restful sleep, technology should be turned off before bed, and a dark cool environment is best for sleeping. A meditation or warm bath before bed can help with a deep, restorative sleep.
Owner/Founder Vitalife Digestive Wellness Clinic