I know, I know, vegan and queso in the same sentence almost sounds sacrilegious. There is literally nothing healthy about queso and to then try and attempt to make it that (and with no dairy to boot) sounds a little strange, a little impossible.
Some context: my business partner and friend, Halla, is from Texas and she loves queso. She’s from Texas and loves queso but is ALSO lactose intolerant. Being that I’m always up for a challenge, I thought trying to make a vegan version would be fun. After four failed attempts (I thought it might actually be impossible) I was able to come up with a recipe that stood up in the consistency and flavour department just enough to fool my queso connoisseur.
- 2 and 1/2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne (if you like it spicy)
- boil potatoes and carrots until tender
- blend all of the ingredients in a high powered blender until very smooth
- taste and adjust seasoning where necessary
- pour into your favourite dip dish or layer over nachos with salsa and olives with a dollop of vegan sour cream and bam! Delicious vegan nachos.
This not-so-cheese can last in the fridge for up to one week. Just make sure to reheat it before dipping in.
Happy National Cheese Lovers Day! Yes, you gorgeous vegans can enjoy it now too!