After posting my Etsy picks I started thinking of other alternative Valentine’s Day gifts and decided that there really isn’t much more thoughtful than something made with your own two hands. Although I’m not a baker by any stretch of the imagination, I think it makes it all the more meaningful that my loved ones understand the effort that went into it.
Aside from being totally adorable, mini cakes are pretty practical because they’re small enough to be a little more than an individual serving.
So here’s how:
You’ll need 12 mini heart shaped cake pans to make 3 mini cakes (I got mine at Kitchen Stuff Plus) If you want to only make one, you only need 3 tins but you will have a bunch of extra cake mix….
1. Sift together the first 5 ingredients
2. Cream the sugar and the butter in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy
3. Add the eggs one at a time to the mixer and then the vanilla
4. Add the flour mixture and the milk alternating a quarter at a time – this helps keep the mixture smooth and lump free!
5. Add batter to your mini heart shaped cake pans – 3 quarters of the way up and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
6. Once baked cool for at least 10 minutes
While they cool make the frosting:
Combine all of the ingredients and blend. Add the fourth cup of sugar if you want a thicker consistency.
Once frosting is finished cut the raised tops off of the cooled cakes with a serrated knife. To make the layered cake place icing on top of the bottom piece and layer other pieces repeating the icing in between. I layered only three because it was getting a bit wobbly. Then frost the entire mini cake and reposition the layers to make straight and place in the fridge to harden. Once hardened you can add more frosting or keep it as is.
Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day!