We started a new series entitled My 5 faves! In this new travel series, we’ll feature tastemakers from around the world and asked them what their favourite places, things, restaurants, streets etc are in the city they live. Throughout this series, we hope you get to know more about different things to see and do in our fave travel destinations while getting to know the personalities of the people we feature.
It was only appropriate to start this series with our very first Women of Style, our friend, Alexandra Bottrie. Alex and I met up at The Mark on my recent trip to NYC for lunch and spent an afternoon laughing hysterically about everything and nothing and finally got this interview done.
Hope you enjoy it! Bisous, Winy
Alexandra Bottrie, New York City
New York City Neighbourhood: Midtown
Alex, what do you like best about your neighborhood?
I just love living in Midtown. Over the years, I’ve made it my neighborhood; I know the people who live here, the local market, dry cleaner and such. I know the people here on a first name basis and they know me as well; I’ve built relationships. This feeling reminds me of Haiti where I grew up and where I call home.
The fact that I live right across the UN is fantastic; you don’t get safer than that! And the view from my apartment, which sits on the 43rd floor, is pretty fantastic, I have an amazing view of the east river and the water reminds me of home.
My five favourite things living in NYC are….
1. Children activities – I love how rich the city is culturally and being a mother, I find that the city is full of great things to do for children whether it is indoor or outdoor. Everything you need is right in New York City; you experience the world right at your door. Some of my favourite places to take my children are the museums, Rockefeller plaza for skating, Coney Island and the list goes on.
2. Madison Avenue – You find everything on Madison. From luxury shopping, to amazing restaurants, inspiring design and architecture, it’s a one-stop street. I enjoy shopping the boutiques on Madison; I love the service you get in a boutique environment. Dining on Madison is also great, from Nello, to the Mark and Rouge Tomate, you get a variety. Madison Avenue to me is very New York City.
3. Soul Cycle – I love going Soul Cycle, their philosophy of cycling and cleansing your soul is great. The music is loud and amazing and it leaves no room for you to think, only to concentrate on your ride for the next 45 minutes. The facilities are clean and I like the fact that you don’t need to get a membership to go. Going to Soul Cycle is a great way to stay in shape and to detox.
4. Union Square Market – Love the fact that you can get organic and seasonal vegetables all year-round.
5. My house in the Hamptons – My husband bought the house for his 50th birthday and it’s very symbolic. Being an island girl, I love being close to water and our house in the Hamptons is surrounded by water. It’s a great escape for us as a family, we spend time in nature kayaking, relaxing and enjoying each others company when we are there. It’s our little paradise.