My friend, Milka, has been raving about Acai bowls since she moved back from a brief stint in South Beach. When there, Acai breakfast bowls were all the rage and I swear when I visited her she looked better than I had ever seen her (and not only because she was escaping the winter’s deathly grip). It took me until I started this vegan challenge to finally give an acai bowl a try. I had one at Bolt and was instantly hooked and because it was so good I thought it was high time I learned how to make them myself so off to Whole Foods I went.
Acai is a superfood that is apparently great for everything. It’s anti aging, rich in vitamins and minerals, helps promote weight loss and is an excellent source of dietary fiber. Acai bowls garnered popularity in Central and South America where the palm tree that acai grows on is abundant. It’s served in smoothies and bowls and has since taken off around the world as great meal replacement that keeps you full and feeling great.
Sound interesting? Here’s how to whip one up for yourself. I added vegan protein powder and maca so that I could use it as a meal replacement but it’s totally nutritious and delicious with or without it so keep it in or take it out depending on your needs
- 1 individual pack of Acai puree (I used Sambazon which I found at Whole Foods)
- 1 cup of frozen fruit
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop of vegan protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon of maca (optional)
- 1/4 cup of almond milk (optional – helps to blend but you can also use water or juice)
- 1/4 cup of granola or chia cereal and some fresh fruit for toppings
- break up acai while in package into large chunks and place in blender with frozen fruit, banana, protein powder, maca and almond milk and blend
- once smooth pour into one or two bowls (makes one large serving or two smaller)
- top with granola/chai and fresh fruit
Are you an Acai bowl lover? What’s your favorite recipe?
One thought on “Vegan Diaries… How To Make: A Protein Packed Acai Bowl!”
Comments are closed.