Fattoush salad is one of my all time faves. I eat a lot of salads so mixing it up is key and this one has the perfect blend of crunch and tang with a super light dressing but enough toppings to keep you full and satisfied. I make mine a little different than the traditional by adding chick peas for bit of a protein kick and feta simply because I’m addicted to cheese. Both of these ingredients can be omitted.
– 2 pita rounds halved, topped with olive oil and baked until crispy.
– 1 head of romaine cut chopped
– 2 small cucumbers or one large (more or less depending on how much you like cucumbers)
– 1 can of chickpeas (optional)
– 3 tomatoes diced
– 3 scallions thinly chopped
– 2 cups of parsley (loosely packed)
-1/4 cup of mint leaves
– 1/2 a cup of feta (optional)
– ground sumac to top (optional)
– 4 tsp of ground sumac soaked in 4 tsp of warm water for 10-15 mins
– 4 tbsp of lemon juice
– 1 tsp of honey
– 2 tsp of white wine vinegar
– 1/2 tsp of dried mint
– 1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
– 3/4 cup of good olive oil
– kosher salt to taste
For the dressing:
– mix sumac and it’s liquid with lemon, honey, white wine vinegar, garlic and mint
– slowly pour in olive oil while stirring constantly to combine
– taste and adjust seasoning adding salt and more lemon, honey or vinegar to satisfy your taste buds
For the salad:
– place baked pita in a bowl and add a bit of olive oil and salt and toss – set aside
– place chopped veggies, chick peas, and feta in a big serving bowl and toss with half of the dressing
– taste and continue to add dressing bit by bit until you have the perfect amount
– top with pita and a dash of dry sumac (optional) and serve
You can also serve this recipe to-go in large mason jars (remember this post on Salad in a Jar?). Just stack the ingredients (wettest on the bottom) and pack the pitas in a separate container and voila! Healthy, delish lunch on the go.
One thought on “How To Make: Fattoush Salad!”
Thanks for sharing, Coco. I absolutely love salads and you’re right, you gotta mix things up so you don’t get bored.
Comments are closed.