We did it! Seven days on The Goop Detox in the books. As we mentioned, we wanted to do a cleanse in January to kick off the New Year feeling cleansed and on track and thankfully, this cleanse was exactly the right choice. Why? Here are my five reasons to jump on the Goop Detox train:
1. You can eat! The cleanse was created to not starve you but rather to give our guts a break, something I think we can all get the benefit from right after the holidays.
2. So many delicious and new recipes to try. If you like to cook, this cleanse is for you. The recipes were all sourced from an Ayurvedic spa in LA and can totally be eaten on any regular night even when you’re not cleansing.
3. Like I mentioned in the last post, the reason I cleanse is to be more mindful of what I eat, and this cleanse really delivered in this category. At first I was shocked at the portion sizes but as time went on it made me really realize just how much I was eating which was another shocker.
4. I feel a new focus on my goals by achieving this goal. By finishing this cleanse without cheating and with relative ease I have a newfound sense of confidence and commitment that I can get to my heath and wellness goals without putting a crazy amount of stress on myself. Making smaller goals to help you get to the bigger ones is always a good move.
5. I lost weight. I know this shouldn’t be the reason you do a cleanse (and many times you gain it back) but I feel like the five pounds I lost while eating clean and healthy this past week is a clear indication that I can actually get to my weight loss goal (yes, I have a number) if I continue to acknowledge the things that are getting in the way. I see you RED WINE!
The one con is that it takes quite a bit of effort if you don’t typically cook all of your meals. You do have to plan quite a bit, though in the end I saw this as a great way for me to realize how much ‘outside’ food I had been ingesting. On the cleanse you have to stay away from gluten, dairy, corn, soy, caffeine, alcohol, added sugar, red meat, shellfish, white rice, or nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, potatoes). Sounds like a lot but once you get over the hump (caffeine withdrawal is a mother!) you’re sailing because the recipes are full of delicious other things.
Have a cleanse that you love? Let us know in the comments.
Stay tuned for our favourite recipes from the detox next week!