From time to time, I get the urge to bake something, but I generally avoid it because it’s a very precise branch of magic that requires accurate measurements, math and patience. My cooking habits usually involve me dashing more spice into the pot, tasting it and then doubling down on the spice again.
Since we all know I have a perfectly normal love for Chrissy Teigen, it’s no surprise that my baking bug came from a casual Sunday scroll through her new website, Cravings by Chrissy Teigen. The funny thing about this is that I’m not much of a sweets person in general, and the sweets that I do love, have a healthy dose of savoury to them and aren’t usually super sweet. Enter this Strawberry Shortcake recipe video that Chrissy made look super simple in a video she did. Now, this recipe isn’t actually hers, she found it on Sally’s Baking Addiction, which is one of my new favourite sites to scan despite the fact that I hate baking. I love the idea of this because of the biscuits; I’m also not a fan of cake and had this recipe had an actual cake component, I wouldn’t have attempted it. But Biscuits, I can get behind.
My opportunity to bake this delicious looking shortcake came when we did our last girls night at Coco’s house. She and I test out recipes, drink wine and laugh our asses off while we cook for our friends every 6 weeks or so. This actually ended up turning out fairly well considering I almost had a meltdown in the middle of doing it. I learned a lot about myself by the end of this foray into the baking world.
LIFE LESSONS LEARNED BY CLEO
- I’m too drunk by the end of our cooking sessions to have the patience to bake….
- I hate baking
- Heavy Cream (USA) = Whipping Cream (Canada)
- The part where they say “Gently flatten until it is evenly ½ inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles.” — this sounds easy, but it is in fact NOT. I literally said out loud, “fuck these stupid circles” and instead made mine into a ½ inch thick shapeless mound shaped a bit like Canada on a map. I do not have the patience for shit like that.
- Have friends around who are good at this — shout out to Alusha for helping me when I was ready to throw out this entire thing and skip dessert because I was annoyed.
Anywho, the biggest lesson I learned here is to stay in my lane and leave the baking to the professionals. That said, if you’re someone who actually enjoys this sport, then below are the ingredients and the full recipe along with some tips and tricks can be found on Sally’s Baking Addiction and accompanying video on Chrissy’s website.
Strawberries + Whipped Cream
- 6–7 cups quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (75g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour* (spoon & leveled)
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder (yes, Tablespoons!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) heavy cream (or buttermilk)
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling