Deep in quarantine when my favourite Starbucks was not open and I was cooking all hours of the day I tried my hand at making their famous Sous Vide Egg Bites. I had made egg bites before but they always came out chewy and bubbly and never that soft, velvety vibe you get from Starbucks. So after a recipe shared by my friend, Maria and a little bit of google searching and kitchen hacking, I think we got there.
This recipe is called ‘sous vide’ but it’s not technically, it’s more of a Bain Marie. AKA you’re cooking the little egg muffins in a muffin tin that sits inside another tray or tin filled with water. The water should reach up just shy of half of the bottom of the muffin tin.
A couple things to note:
- cream, it has to be cream. I’ve tried 1% and almond and both are disappointing and not velvety!
- you can use any meat, but bacon is better
- the tray needs to sit in water but doesn’t need to swim
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup of cheddar or gruyere grated
- 6 strips of bacon (cooked if you’re like me and like your bacon crisp)
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- combine beaten eggs with cream, cheese, salt and pepper
- place a muffin tin in a larger baking pan
- spray muffin tin with non stick cooking spray or grease the tin with butter
- place one strip of bacon cut in half in the bottom of each muffin cup
- using a ladle, fill each cup with the egg mixture
- Fill the base baking pan that surrounds the muffin tin with boiling hot water
- place it all in the oven carefully
- bake for around 30 to 40 mins checking with a toothpick around the 30 min mark to see if they’re done (you’ll know they’re ready when the toothpick comes out clean)
Try this at home! And then share it with us, here.