Today is Juneteenth. Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free.
Activists are campaigning for the United States Congress to recognize Juneteenth as a national holiday. Currently, Juneteenth is recognized as a state holiday or special day of observance.
Here at The Cowe and Halo & Co., Juneteenth is a holiday, we will be closing our virtual office doors. We encourage you to reflect and recenter your thoughts and actions with us as we continue our fight for equal rights.
Stay #InTheKnow with everything from this week’s podcast episode on Conversations With Coco + Friends, to optical allyship, Summer jewelry trends, to Father’s Day inspo and PepsiCo. finally decides to make moves.
- “This Juneteenth, I want to feel the peace that white people have enjoyed at my expense.“
- This week on Conversations With Coco + Friends: Roxy Earle on “Fat Phobia, Fashion and “Inclusivity.”
- Three fun things.
- More Black-owned brands we be lovin’.
- Optical allyship: going beyond sharing that one Instagram post.
- How people are doing PRIDE 2020.
- Liv’s arms + abs burnouts will warm you up in 5!
- Refreshing cherry tomato & avo salad w/ pecans & honey-lemon dressing. Ty @ChrissyTeigen
- How to transform your outdoor space, Lord knows that’s the only sweet escape we’ll be getting this Summer.
- Summer jewelry trends and how to make your own! Serious gifting inspo.
- Don’t say we didn’t warn you, Mercury is officially in retrograde.
- The 50 best albums of 2020 thus far.
- The Cowe’s Father’s Day GG featuring Black-owned businesses.
- Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben’s racist “branding” is officially changing. Damn, it is about time!
- Anyone else?