We finally tested out our Air Fryer last night with tofu for the first time and we have to say we are v impressed. See how it turned out by clicking here.
We recommend making this recipe when you have a little bit more time on your hands, it’s not the cooking process but more so the preparing of the tofu that takes a hot minute or hour in this case. All of that to say, it is totally worth it. Read on for what you’ll need and how to achieve crispy protein perfection.
What You’ll Need
- block of extra firm tofu
- heavy pans (DIY style) or a tofu press
- lots of paper towel
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 to 4 tbsp. of sriracha (if you don’t love spice, start with 2 1/2 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- sesame seeds + green scallions for garnish
- Drain as much water as possible after unpacking the tofu
- Cut the block lengthwise so instead of being 3 1/2 to 4 inches thick, both halves are around 2 inches thick
- Use your tofu press or put each halve between three pieces of folded up paper towel and put something heavy on top of each half of tofu (we used heavy duty pans with lids on), so that enough weight is applied evenly to absorb majority of the water remaining in the tofu
- Combine and whisk minced garlic, sriracha, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and sesame oil
- Taste test the marinade to see if it needs to be spicier or sweeter, we like ours extra hot! So when in doubt, add more sriracha
- Remove tofu from DIY setup and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Gently place cubes into marinade and let sit for at least one hour
- Stir every twenty minutes if your marinade is not 100% covering all cubes
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F
- Evenly cover the tray of your air fryer and bake for 12 minutes at 350°F (check on it every few minutes because the air fryer cooks very quickly)
- Shake the tray halfway through so that your cubes are cooked evenly
- Once timer ends, your tofu cubes should look extra golden and crispy
- Serve with broccoli and rice or whatever you’re feeling and enjoy!
If you try this recipe at home, share your process with us via Instagram by tagging @cocoandcowe.