CWC + Friends is back!
Our first episode of the year will probably help you check off one of your “New Year’s resolutions”. We chatted with Vanessa Bowen, Chartered Professional Accountant, Master Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner and the Founder of Mintworthy. Listen to A Conversation With Vanessa Bowen About How to Get Your Money Mindset Right and Why Financial Literacy Matters now as Vanessa shares her insight to feeling in control of your money and debunks the biggest misconception, that you believe you “need more money” to get to your desired financial mindset.
Vanessa says, “Get comfortable with your numbers. I know a lot of women especially, they’re scared to look at their bank account, they’re scared to see where their money is at but you have to face it. Just like anything in life, if you want to conquer it, you have to face it.”
We felt that. It’s easier to keep putting off facing your statements, spending habits, etc. But it’s also necessary to realize just how much you are spending to make a habit of changing your ways if your expenses look anything like ours!
Vanessa shared this exclusive Uncover Your Money “take-home” activity with us from her program, checkout the prompts below after listening to this week’s episode of CWC + Friends.
Write out the questions below and answer them or access the official template to print here.
Assignment: Uncover Your Money Story
Answer the questions below to uncover your money blocks which create your current money story:
- How was your mother with money?
- How was your father with money?
- What money traits from your parents have you adopted?
- What are some of your first thoughts or interactions with money?
- How are these thoughts and interactions shaping your current financial life?
- When you think of the financial world, what is the first thought that comes to mind?
- What personal limitations have you projected on yourself? (ie:”I am not enough, I can’t be as successful as others, etc.)
- How have the perceptions and opinions of other’s impacted your financial life and decisions?
- What are your money blocks?
Here are some commonly held money blocks that may sound familiar to you. If any resonate with you, include them on your list below.
- Someone like me (background, schooling, weight, upbringing, etc.) can never reach that level of income.
- I will forever have to rely on someone (spouse, parents, partner, etc.) to be financially ok.
- You can’t desire wealth and desire to help the world.
- Rich people are selfish, greedy, egotistical, shallow and snobby.
- I can’t see myself ever making more than $X (whatever dollar amount scares you).
- You have to work hard to make money.
- Debt is bad/Never go into debt.
- I can never have my own business – no one I know has ever been a successful entrepreneur.
- If you get excited about having money, you are shallow.
- Money breaks up marriages.
- Money causes stress.
- You have to sacrifice a lot to make the money you desire.
- Money can’t buy happiness.
- It’s important to have a good, secure job.
- How are they making that kind of money?/How can they afford that?
Write your Money Blocks below. Write down any and everything – what you say, think or do. The purpose is to get everything out; only then can you address it.
Let us and Vanessa know here if you try this one at home. Now is the perfect time to get your finances in order, Cowes!